Monday, September 28, 2009

Microwave Flower Press

My new toy, a tool for drying flowers in your microwave. I have been meaning to post about it for a while, just never got around to it. It is made of earthenware if that is the correct name for it , a nice heavy clay and very nice looking too.

I only wish I had found this sooner this year because there are not many flowers left for me to dry. I did try some mum's from my garden, they were a dark pink and just look how they turn purple. You can click on the picture for a better look if you want.
I keep meaning to go out and pick some wildflowers that grow along the highway but you know how it is, I forget or when I am on the highway I am usually on my way somewhere, like the dentist today.
This is how it looks inside. There are 2 thick layers of wool and two layers of cotton. You put your flowers or leaves in there, then layer the cotton, the wool and then the other piece of earthenware. Pop it in the microwave for 60 seconds, check on it and if not ready put it back in for more. I have found that most things have taken 2 minutes to dry.

After they are cool I put them in one of my flower presses until I am ready to use them. Which could be next year the way I am, there are so many things I want to play with in my art, just too many really, but at least they are there when I do need them :)

Look how pretty these leaves dried and they are quite close to the original color.
They had fallen off my Virginia Creeper which is now turning red. The leaves first turn a lovely pinkish color then they turn red, then burnt orange. These are going to be so pretty on something :)
This little gadget my husband picked up for me at Lee Valley , not sure if that is just a Canadian company or not. There is another one called Micro Fleur Microwave Flower Press, which is made of plastic and that was the first one I was looking for but couldn't find it without ordering from the U.S. Then a friend told me about this one, and I am very happy with it.

The nice thing is that if you need a leaf right away you can go pick one up outside and dry it in 2 mins, then use it on your art work.
Hey Patty, (she's been wax crazy lately) I was thinking how they would look with some wax, either glue them on art with wax or layer over them. What do you think?